Last Updated on
There are several reasons why it’s important to factory reset windows 10 PC. After hours or days of trouble shooting a PC, to factory reset windows 10 might your last option. This is because running factory reset on windows will wipe all data and bring the system to it’s default state. So in other to prevent data loose it’s often advisable to use this as a last resort and always seek permission from the owner of the PC before proceeding.
Another reason why we factory reset windows 10 is to erase all personal data before giving it out or putting it up for sale. So with that in mind, weather you want to sell it or give it to a friend or doing it as a last resort fix, Here is how to reset windows 10.
Does factory reset delete everything on a laptop?
Like i said earlier, running factory reset will erase all data from your computer. However, to prevent this from happening, it’s best to run a backup on your system before proceeding. Although there is an option to keep your personal files while resetting but it’s still better to backup your files on an external hard-drive. While backing up, Backup only important documents to save time and energy.
How To Factory Reset Windows 10
- Press the Win key or click on the start menu and select Settings
- Select or click on Update & Security
- Select or click Recovery from the left navigation bar
- Click “Get Started” under the “Reset this PC” heading
- Select either Keep my Documents or Remove everything, Depends on what you need the reset to achieve. The previous choice will keep the documents yet evacuate programs and any progressions to settings. The last disposes of everything.
- If more than one drive is installed on your system, you’ll get an option to either erase the primary drive or erase all the drives
- If you somehow managed to choose Remove everything, pick one of the two choices displayed to you
- Just remove my files: If you select this option, you’ll see a notification that says This is a quicker but it is less secure. Therefore by using this method, one can still recover deleted files which makes the purpose of running the reset kind of wasteful.
- Remove files and clean the drive: when you select this option, you’ll see a notification that says ” this might take a few hours but will make it harder for someone to recover your removed files. So for best result when you Factory Reset Windows 10, select this option.
- Click or select “Reset
This will begin the reset process depending on your choice
- Your PC will then restart. It will go to a screen that says “Resetting this PC” alongside the advancements.
- Once the reset process is complete, follow the screen instructions to reinstall Windows 10
Congratulations, your system has now bring restored to it’s factory default. At this point when Windows 10 has wrapped setting up, you should give it a quick check to ensure that every one of your records and settings have been erased and returned to default.
How long does it take to factory reset Windows 10?
For resetting a Windows PC it would take around 3 hours.Also, in the first place your new reinstalled PC it would take an additional 15 minutes to configure,add passwords and security. By and large it would take around 3 and half hour to reset and start with your new Windows 10 PC.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Factory Resetting Windows 10
Factory resetting windows 10 or any other windows holds some advantages as well as some disadvantages.
- Makes your windows look bran-new
- Eliminates every trace of virus from the system
- Helps to correct unseen PC errors
- Easy to understand
- Permanent data loose if not backed up
- Time consuming
For safe practices, always make sure your system is plunged to a power source before proceeding in other to prevent your PC from shutting down halfway into the reset process. this could damage your hard dive
Will factory reset make my computer faster?
Actually, if your PC was running slow before, after you factory reset windows 10, it will bring it to it’s factory default state. So if by default your system was fast, then after you factory reset, it will definitely become fast again. But if on the other hand your system was slow by default, it will remain slow even after you run factory reset. In this case, to increase the speed of your system, you’ll need to perform some hardware upgrade as well as software upgrade.
Will Factory reset remove viruses?
Running windows factory reset is similar to a clean installation and it is not the most fun thing to do, however, it is the one guaranteed way to get rid of viruses, spyware, and malware. It’s pretty straight-forward: when you do a clean install, you delete everything on your hard drive. Therefore, no more viruses.
Is factory reset good for PC?
A factory reset is simply a built-in feature that comes with your device, whether it’s a computer or phone. Factory reset is a good way of refreshing your PC, it also helps getting rid of virus and it makes your PC feels and look new again.Factory reset is actually a built-in software to erase the information that exists on the internal storage of the computer or other device. So running factory reset is good for PC’s.
Quick Steps On How to Factory Reset Windows 10
Here is a quick rundown on how to factory reset windows 10 to make your pc new again.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Update & security”
- Click Recovery in the left pane.
- Select Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything,” depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
- Select “Just remove my files” or “Remove files and clean the drive”
- select Next if Windows warns you that you won’t be able to roll back to a prior version of the OS.
- Click Reset when prompted.
- select Continue when prompted.
Thanks for reading and hope this information was helpful.