Downloading files either mp3 or pdf, is a daily routine for many people around the world. 60% of your download speed is usually determined by your network provider. The remaining 40% is determined by your computer speed.
So if you are currently having a slow download speed, there are some things you’ll need to check in other to improve the download speed.
First of all we’ll look at how to increase download speed and the how to increase computer speed as well.
How to Increase Download Speed
Check your download speed
Once you connect your computer to the internet, first thing you should do is to check the download speed of your internet. This will help you know if your internet speed is normal or abnormal.
To run a download speed test, simply go to google and type speed test or internet speed and follow the screen instruction given.
after checking, if your download speed is megabyte/sec, it should be fine. but if it reads in kilobyte/sec, then it means something is wrong and you should try step two.
Close Any Apps you Aren’t Using
Running apps while trying to download files has a way of slowing down your download speed. Close all video streaming app, online gaming apps and any other app that’s connected to the internet.
An easy way to close running apps especially the ones that are sometimes stubborn and won’t want to close is through task manager.
- Right-click on the empty area of your task-bar, and select Task Manager
- Click More details to view all the programs running on your computer
- Select any app you want to close, and click End task and then
- Check if it helps increase your download speed. If not, try the next steps.
Move closer to the router if possible
Check the network bar on your device. If it is low, and you are using a WiFi network, then move closer to the router or where you’ll get a full bar. A poor signal can affect your download speed and eventually make your download slow.
If moving close to the router made no difference, then you should try restarting the router or resetting it if possible. Then try downloading again. if problem persist, try this next step
Disable or limit Automatic Updates
If your Internet speed suddenly slows down somehow, it’s possible that your computer is automatically downloading system updates in the background. So to increase the download speed of your file, you can manually disable the “downloading updates in the background” feature.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button > the Settings icon
- Click Update & Security.
- Click Windows Update > Advanced options
- Scroll down to click Delivery Optimization
- Click Advanced options
- Check the box beside Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the backgrounds, and set the slider to 100%.
- Check if it helps boost your download speed. If not, try the next step, below
Use a Different Browser
Browsers sometimes may cause the speed of downloading to be slow. To correct this, try using a different browser to open the same website you opened previously. Or try using the new browser to download the file you have been trying to download.
If it still slow, then try using the next step
Reset your DNS server
DNS (Domain Name System) is what translates a website address into an IP address, so your computer can understand it. You can try resetting your DNS server to a reliable DNS server. This might just do the trick. follow the steps below to reset DNS server
- Right-click the Internet access icon on the bottom right of your screen, then select Open Network & Internet settings
- If you use the wired Internet, click Ethernet. If you use the wireless Internet, click Wi-Fi.
- Click Change adapter options
- Right-click on Ethernet or Wi-FI, and select Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses, Then enter preferred and alternate DNS addresses. Reliable DNS servers includeOpenDNS and Google Public DNS.
– If you want to use OpenDNS, enter 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
– If you want to use Google Public DNS, enter 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
- Click OK
- Click Close.
- Restart your computer and see if it helps increase your download speeds. If not, try the next step, below
Update your network adapter driver
If your network driver is outdated, it will affect the download speed so for better download speed, check and update the network adapter driver.
To update your network driver, you can do it manually and automatically.
Update your network adapter driver manually
You can update your driver manually by going to the hardware manufacturer’s website, and searching for the latest driver for your network adapter. But if you take this approach, be sure to choose the driver that’s compatible with the exact model number of your hardware, and your version of Windows.
Update your network adapter driver automatically
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your network adapter driver manually, you can do it automatically with a software. You can get most of the drivers software’s on google. just download, install and run the software. It will do all the updates for you.
if you tried these steps and your download speed is still slow, then your computer speed might be the issue. Your computer probably needs to be upgraded.
To increase computer speed, follow these steps
How to Increase Computer Speed
Remove Unused Programs to increase computer speed
Unwanted or unused programs might be running in your computer background. All you need to do is to check and uninstall all unwanted or unused programs on your computer. Follow these steps to uninstall programs.
- Click start, point to settings, select control panel
- Double click on the add/remove programs icon
- Select the unused program and click on the remove button
After that restart your computer, connect to the network and verify if the speed has improved. If not, perform the next step
Scan Computer For virus and Disable Antivirus Auto scan
Viruses and malware can also slowdown your computer. So it’s important to keep your computer virus and malware free .
To do it ,install an antivirus program on your computer. Note that auto protect mode of antivirus programs also slow down the computer. So after installing and scanning for virus, disable auto protect mode to increase the computer speed.
Disable Unusable services in windows
disable all unusable services to increase computer speed. follow these steeps to
- Open the control panel.
- Choose system and security.
- Choose administrative tools.
- Open the services icon.
- Locate a service to disable.
- Use the list at the end to help you decide which services to disable.
- Click the Name column heading to ensure that the services are sorted alphabetically.
- Double-click the service to open its properties dialog box.
- Choose disabled as the startup type.
- By choosing disabled, you prevent the process from starting when the computer starts.
Make a note of the service’s original state: Automatic or Manual. Just in case you need to re-enable the service, you should know how it was configured before you changed it.
Click OK to confirm your choice and close the dialog box.
Defragmenting your computer increases the computer speed. When your computer is not defragmented, it will make your computer run slow. To run defragmentation on your computer, folloe these steps:
- Open Disk Defragment by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Derangement, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Derangement.
- Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
- To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk.If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.It also helps to solve slow speed computer issue .
- Click Defragment disk.
If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
There are a few physical things you can do to increase your computer performance. You can and should add more RAM memory until the computer speed is improved. I’ve found that as a machine ages, you can extend its utility with a RAM upgrade. But take not not to over the computer.
Upgrade To An SSD Drive
Finally, you can upgrade to an SSD drive. This will make your computer run faster, but they are more expensive and have overall less storage capacity. If you have a laptop, you will need to clone the old disk drive onto the new SSD before installing it.Changing HDD to SSD boost pc speed upto 50 times .
Try Using Another Device
After trying all options giving above, if it fails, then you should try using another device to see if you would get the same result. If the same result is what you get, then the problem is from the network providers. But if it works fine, then your older device might be damaged and needs a technicians attention.